Discharge Instructions for Intravenous (IV) Infusion Therapy
You have just received an intravenous (IV) and or an intramuscular (IM) therapy at prosper IV. Your therapy may consist of vitamins, anti-oxidants, minerals, electrolytes, amino-acids, fluids and sometimes medications or any combination of the above. Below is some information on what to expect after. How to care for yourself after your IV Vitamin Therapy infusion:
- Apply pressure to site for 2 minutes after IV has been removed
- Keep Band-Aid in place for 1 hour
- Warm packs and elevating your arm can be used for any bruising at the site
- Cold packs can be used for pain relief and to decrease any swelling at the site
- Any swelling should be significantly reduced in 24 hours
- Post IV infusion symptoms are uncommon. Dehydration is the cause of most symptoms and concerns.
- We encourage you to drink at least 1-2 16oz. bottles of water after your IV infusion.
- If enough water is not consumed, you may experience any of the following symptoms: headaches, nausea, joint pain, blurred vision, cramping (GI and/or muscular), mental confusion or disorientation.
Most patients experience significant overall improvements:
- Increased energy
- Better mental clarity
- Improved sleep
- Improvement of their complaints
- Overall feelings of well being
Patients commonly report one of two patterns after an IV Vitamin Therapy infusion:
1. Patients generally feel better right away. Due to a busy lifestyle, many people are chronically dehydrated and deficient in vitamins and minerals causing them to not feel well. Once the patient is hydrated and the nutrients are replaced, their symptoms improve quickly.
2. Patients sometimes feel tired or unwell. These patients are generally in the process of detoxifying. When toxins are pulled out of tissues, they re-enter the blood stream. They remain poisons, but they are now on their way OUT instead of on their way IN. Even when patients do not feel well at this stage, the process is one of healing and cleansing. After this period, an overall improvement in one’s sense of well-being is generally reported. How often will I need IV Vitamin Therapy infusions?
The number and frequency of treatments will vary depending on certain factors.
- Condition(s) being treated
- Current health status of the patient
- Response of the patient to the treatments
A general estimate of the number of treatments needed is discussed during the first visit. As we go along, we will develop a more specific treatment plan. Most patients will require at least 5-10 treatments within a 2-3 month timeframe. Depending on the response, some patients will then go on to maintenance therapy with occasional treatments.
Call prosper IV or your Primary Care Physician for:
- Any symptoms you are not comfortable with
- If any of the following are progressively worsening after your IV infusion:
- Significant swelling over the IV site
- Redness over the vein that is increasing in size
- Pain in the vein/arm that is not improving over an 8-12 hour period
- Headache that does not resolve with increased hydration or over-the-counter pain relievers like aspirin, Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen.
If you feel like you are having a life threatening emergency, please call 911.